Preparing for Closing DayYou've just bought a new home! Congratulations!
Your offer was accepted, the home inspection went well and all the conditions have been met. So what's next on your to-do list? Other than packing of course, there are a number of steps you'll need to take in preparation for the big day.
1. Get Your Lawyer Involved:Your real estate professional will fax the Agreement of Purchase and Sale to your lawyer, who will then complete a variety of tasks on your behalf - checking title, preparing the land transfer, etc. You will need to provide all necessary documents to your mortgage lender.
2. Home Insurance:Arrange for homeowner's insurance to begin the day of closing. You can often get a discount for "bundling" so check rates with your auto and/or life insurance provider first.
3. Transfer Utilities:Call the local utility companies to set up hydro, water, gas, cable, telephone, etc.
4. Notify Change Of Address:Inform all necessary parties of your upcoming change of address – credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, the Ministry of Transportation, Canada Revenue Agency, insurance company, employer, etc. You can also arrange through the post office for all of your mail to be redirected to your new address for a specified period of time.
5. Start saving:As tempting as it is to go out and buy furniture, décor items and more for your new house, closing day will bring with it some hefty costs, including legal fees, hook-up charges, moving costs, and more.
6. Final Walk-Thru:Arrange for a final walk-through at your new address. Your real estate professional will accompany you as you tour the home for one last time before moving day. Bring a tape measure to check room sizes!
7. Sign The Deed:A day or two before closing, you will meet with your lawyer to sign all necessary documents. Finally, when the big day arrives, your lawyer will contact you when you can pick up the keys to your new home!
If you are planning to buy or sell a home in the Oakville/Burlington/Hamilton area, reach out to our team. We are here to help, every step of the way!
Re/Max Escarpment Realty Inc. Brokerage
905 • 631-8118 X 8605 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Let's Get You Home!